Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Garden work better than working out at the gym

In this weekend’s newspaper, I read an article titled “Garden work better than working out at the gym”. Hmm…I figure that working around the yard and garden does provide some exercise, but better than the gym? Personally, I do not belong to a gym. I know several people that do. I don’t see anything wrong with that. With the amount of inactivity and obesity in America today, anything to help get those bodies moving is a benefit. The article claims a report shows that many gardening activities parallel the routines of many popular exercises. I would guess that anyone who regularly does any serious work in the garden or yard would agree that you get a good workout. However, what I like best about the article is that it mentions the mental aspect of garden work. It gets you away from the grueling workplace, gets you back in touch with nature. Most people are working in an office or some enclosed structure most of the day. Gardening gives them the opportunity to take a mental break from that, get your hands dirty, touch something real. You also get the nurturing satisfaction from growing plants, fruits or vegetables. These are things you simply cannot get from working out in a gym. Plus, with gardening you have something more to show off than your body.

No comments: