Monday, December 22, 2008

Cars Suck

Sorry, time for a little rant here...
As much as I would like to not depend on automobiles, our family does own and use them. I still see them as an evil necessity in our lives. I know, the auto does provide a way to transport one or more people and much cargo long distances quickly. What I don't like (besides the pollution and waste they produce) is all the stuff that goes along with them.
OK, here is the cause for my rant - yesterday while looking for a parking space at a local shopping center, another person in their car backs into mine. I am stopped, waiting for cars in front of me to move, and this person backs out of an aisle to my left and into my front left fender. My two kids were in the back seat, and fortunately no one was hurt. What this really brings to mind is the inconvenience that a situation like this brings about. What was a minor fender bender has left me and the kids a bit shaken up, and phone calls to the insurance company, and later getting the car repaired. I do have to say, I have my insurance through AAA, and they have been extremely helpful so far. Which raises the point of how much money is spent in providing this mode of transportation. We pay plenty in car payments, insurance, gas, registration, and maintenance and repairs.
What about the alternatives? Let's say that our family decides to sell the cars, and look for other ways of transportation. In our city we have the metro bus and trolley system, and the trains for longer trips up the coast. We could probably get monthly transit passes for the 4 of us for about or a little cheaper than the car and insurance payments per month. The problem we would be left with is the convenience of the car would not be there. Our bus schedule leaves quite a bit to be desired. The trolley system is great, except it doesn't go anywhere you need it to.
I commute by bicycle, but I cannot see the bike taking the place of the car for the rest of the family right now.
I know that this is a lifestyle that we have chosen, just like most of the country. If something happened today that took away our cars, we could get by. We are fortunate to live in an area where we can get around if needed. I know plenty of people in rural areas would have a much tougher time. Car culture is ingrained in our society pretty well. All of the inconveniences that go along with having the convenience of the car are just accepted as "normal". I at least realize that this "normal" is a fallacy, but haven't quite figured out what to do about it.
If you have read my rant, thanks for taking the time.

No comments: