Monday, June 18, 2007

Car Sin City

Last Friday I had the day off, so I did one of my favorite things and took the car in for service. As much as I wish me and my family were car free, we just aren't there. We have one small car that my wife uses and I try to keep that car as reliable as possible. So, I took the car in for its scheduled oil change and wheel alignment that was due since we just had 4 new tires installed. Yep, getting the tires was a lot of fun, too. I took our car to the neighborhood service center and dropped it off. This was in very much a business district. The service was going to take at least 2 hours, so I headed off for a walk. I knew there was a bike shop not far away. As I started walking, I realized just how much this area was mainly built just to serve the automobile. I passed dozens of businesses that catered to either buying or maintaining the auto. There were new and used car dealerships, car rentals, all types of service including general fix-it shops, brakes, air conditioning, tires, collision repair, painting, upholstery, and so on. One can only appreciate the volume of businesses by walking this area. As you drive by in a car doing 40 or 50 MPG, it just doesn't register. I made it to the bike shop in only a few minutes. Actually, I made it there too soon, as they weren't even open yet. So, I killed some time at a coffee shop, then looked around a nearby office supply store for a bit. I then headed back to the bike store and perused the wonderful, very expensive bikes. Since this was a Friday morning and they had just opened, there were not many customers. I had the fortune of being asked about 10 times if I needed any help. There are always plenty of people offering assistance when you are just looking, but of course there are none to be found when you actually need their help. Well, after a few minutes looking around, I was wishing I was riding my bike rather than waiting on my car service. After a couple of hours are up, I head back to the service center. I see the car is still up on the lift. After waiting a few minutes, I decide to head out again for a walk in the other direction. I pass yet more car dealers this way. After a few blocks I make my way to another bike shop. A little more time looking around, and even more wishing I was riding, then a quick stop for some lunch and back to the service center. It is now over 3 hours and the car is almost ready. Another 10 or 15 minutes waiting and it is finally ready.
Now that my bank account is a bit smaller and I have shot over half of a vacation day, I have our car back with a fresh oil change and wheel alignment. Spending some time on foot in a car-centric district really gives you an appreciation for just how much our economy gains from everyone driving. And by that I mean that the economy as a whole gains, although I think many, many people lose out from it. It sure would have been nice to take the money I spent on servicing the car and made a down payment on a sweet multi-thousand dollar bike!

No comments: