Friday, June 08, 2007

Bicycle Accommodations

I was just browsing the Bicycle Fixation web site today, and ran across this interesting article. The author Gina Morey writes about our automobile infrastructure and its lack of accommodations for cyclists. She specifically gets into the problems related to where you park your bike once you arrive at your destination, whether it be a store or your work. This is something that doesn't get mentioned much. Everyone likes to talk about bike lanes, which routes are the best for cycling, etc. But, what do you do when you want to stop by a store on your ride? A few establishments actually have decent bike parking facilities. Most are lucky to have any sort of bike rack. And the ones that do are not fit to use. Some are around the side of the store, out of site so that a potential bike thief has plenty of opportunity. Sometimes you might find a decent light pole or sign you can lock up to.
I once visited a dentist office using my bike, and upon arriving did not find a bike rack of any sort. I found a handicap parking sign nearby, so I locked the bike to it. I was out of the parking spot, not obstructing any pedestrian or auto activity in any way. When I came out from the dentist office, I found a note taped to the top tube of my bike. It said if I parked my bike there again it would be taken away by the property management. I was instructed to park at the nearby trolley station. I did not visit that dentist again. I should have contacted the property manager, but I have no idea who it is now. I am sure regular bike riders have encountered numerous situations like this. One does have to take parking into consideration when looking for an establishment to visit by bike. Unfortunately, the number of people who attempt to utilize this practical mode of transportation for shopping or commuting are so low that most managers or owners don't even consider them. I was a bit surprised at Gina's discovery that even places like Whole Foods hadn't considered bike parking. Actually, the more I think about it, it does make sense. Stores like Whole Foods seem to be more tailored to the yuppie crowds, who are more likely to drive yuppie SUVs than actually ride a bike for transportation. They are more likely to think that switching to compact fluorescent light bulbs and using reusable grocery bags will save the world than reduce or give up driving an automobile.
I think Gina has the right idea. We need to contact the people who can make the changes needed to accommodate the few and brave utilitarian cyclists out there.
I have often wanted to stop by one store or another while on my commute, but after riding by and seeing no bicycle parking facility, just kept on going. I decided to wait until a day I had to drive to work to make the stop. I hate the idea of needing to drive to work just so I can feel comfortable in having a parking space when I stop by a store on the way home. I wonder how many cyclists feel the same way - they would shop by bike or commute to work, but without any decent bike parking, just give up on the idea. I am fortunate that I can park my bike in the building where I work, but if I could not, I am not sure if I would be riding. If places of work and stores could be accommodating of the brave cyclists, they may go a long way in increasing bicycling as a viable mode of transportation.

No comments: