Monday, June 11, 2007

June 11

Two years ago today my grandfather passed away. This makes it what I guess is called a bittersweet time for me, as tomorrow is my birthday. I think about him often, and especially today I am taking some time to reflect on his life. The more I reflect, the more I realize that my values and views on many things in life somehow must have come from him. He was always a man who neither wanted, needed, or asked for much. He seemed to be able to make do with what he had on hand. He commuted to work in a used VW Beetle. He saw automobiles an simply a mode of transportation. They were not status symbols or vanity items. He even had a small farm and never needed and SUV. Once he hauled a calf in the back of a Beetle with the rear seat removed. He raised many of the vegetables that his family ate. For a while he raised some cattle. He never intentionally hurt anyone or anything. He never saw a reason to pay someone to do a job that he could do himself. However, he was one to work with family or friends when needed. My grandfather served in the military during WW II. He never talked about it. I think he was proud to serve his country, but probably did not stay one minute longer than he had to. He always voted for the independent person in elections. He knew the typical Republican or Democratic candidate was just more of the same status-quo. I am sure he knew that his vote was "wasted", but I think it was more of the principle. He never seeked fame or fortune, and although he never made a lot of money, he was never poor.
When me and my sister were young, he always had time for us when we would visit. He did not seem to mind letting us "help" around the farm. I don't think I ever saw him loose his patience. My grandfather lived a fairly long and good life. He was a decent, down to earth practical man, and I miss him.

No comments: